Our ASE certified technicians at Hugh’s Body Shop in Roanoke, VA knows that regular car maintenance is essential. Car owners who know what to check every other month increase the life of their car dramatically. Our mechanics have the some tips about what to look for in your car every other month. Here is our quick guide.
- Oil: Open up the hood of your car and look at your oil level. You should add oil if it’s necessary. If you’re noticing a dramatic drop in level, you may want to check for a leak.
- Hoses: Hoses go through a lot of wear and tear. You should replace them if they are bulging, rotten, or brittle.
- Belts: Take a look at your belt. If you notice that they are worn down, frayed, or glazed then it’s time to replace.
- Tire Pressure: Normally you can eyeball whether or not your tire pressure is low, but check it anyways. If you notice it’s low, then take it to your closest gas station and bring the pressure back up.
- Coolant or Antifreeze: Most cars have an indicator inside the car, but sometimes it isn’t reliable. Manually check to see if it’s at the right level. If it is low add some more coolant or anti-freeze. Make sure you check for leaks as well.
- Air Filter: Air filters are not checked often enough. Go ahead and take a look.
3 Month Checklist
- Oil and Oil Filter: You should change your oil and oil filter about every 3,000 miles or as recommended by the manufacturer. If you know that you’ve hit that before your 3 month mark, then you need to change it.
- Windshield Washer Fluid: There’s nothing worse than running out of windshield washer fluid when you need it. To make sure that your not caught without you should check to see if the level is low every 3 months. Add as necessary.
- Power Steering Fluid: Make sure you are checking to make sure your power steering fluid’s level is where it should be.
- Transmission Fluid: Check to see your transmission fluid’s level. Add more when you need it.
- Battery Terminals and Cables: Check to see if the cables and everything connected to your battery look as they should be. If they look corroded then you may have to contact a professional.
- Lights: Sometimes it can be hard to know if your light has gone off. Make time to check your headlights, turn signals, brake lights, and your license plate light are all on.
6 Month Checklist
- Wiper Blades: Nothings worse than having ineffective wiper blades when you need them. Every 6 months you should check to see if they’re worn, brittle, or smeary.
- Horn: Check and see if your horn is working properly. You need your horn to alert other cars of danger. Give it a quick test and make sure it works.
- Brakes: Safe brakes are essential for your safety. You should inspect for unusual wear and tear.
- Spare Tire: Make sure it’s fully inflated and ready for an emergency. If you don’t have a spare tire, then now is the time to get one!
- Exhaust System: Your exhaust system goes through a lot. Inspect for rust, damage, or loose parts.
- Shocks: Shocks are important to keep your car from bouncing. Inspect for oil seepage and wear.
Need More Help?
Hugh’s Body Shop in Roanoke, VA has a simple simple mission: We want to establish and provide excellent customer service and complete automotive truck care in Virginia. We are your best pick for towing, bodywork, wrecking services, and automotive repair. With our highly qualified ASE certified mechanics, we are business that you can trust. We have been under the same ownership since 1975 and have been dedicated to provide the same excellent service ever since. No matter what kind of auto repair or towing service you need in and around Roanoke, VA, our mechanics and technicians are ready to serve you. We have been dedicated to provide excellent service and complete automotive and truck care since 1975. Contact us today to experience our excellent customer service at Hugh’s Body Shop.